A Portrayal of Turkey Through My Eyes

"ISTAAAANBULLLLL... Iss naam mai hi kuchh jaadu hai."

Four months ago, my family and I left for Turkey. A country that I had been longing to explore. I've always loved to travel, experience things, and make memories. I had been looking forward to this trip for months. And that day finally came when we caught our flight to Istanbul. 

This article is a travelogue of my tour of an ancient land, the cradle of civilization, and the center of world history. I am no professional, but exploring this country for a month gave me a clear depiction of what it is like. Here's a portrayal of Turkey through my eyes. 



What are the people of Turkey like?

The people of Turkey add to its beauty. They are in fact very welcoming and hospitable. Turkish people celebrate their music, literature, and art, and take immense pride in their nation. They are ever-enthusiastic to share their country's history and folklore and show visitors around. Although a major population doesn't speak English, they are patient while communicating and expressing themselves. 



Turkish cuisine

Turkish cuisine is a fusion and refinement of Mediterranean, Balkan, and Middle Eastern cuisines. This cuisine is rich and savory. It is somewhat very similar to Greek cuisine. The trademarks of this cuisine are Doner Kabab, Baklava, Kofta, Börek, Lahmacun, Pide, Dondurma, and Knafeh. 

I realized that Turks are also very obsessed with their tea. Tea is an indispensable part of Turkish culture & is a way of life. Tea is consumed throughout the day, starting from breakfast and it goes on until bedtime. It is a drink appreciated by people from every class and background. 

What made this trip unique compared to other vacations for me?

This trip and country altogether were different from the rest of the vacations that I'd taken in foreign lands. For this was not only a vacation to unwind but, to understand the history and culture of a land that bridges two continents, Europe and Asia, and is a combination of natural beauty and historic sites. A month-long road trip in all of Turkey gave me a perspective and helped me compare and contrast different cities with one another. 

Throughout the journey, we covered ten prominent cities of the nation that included Istanbul, Ankara, Cappadocia, Konya, Antalya, Alanya, Kas, Kalkan, Fethiye, and Izmir. In this article, I will describe my stay in Istanbul, my personal favorite. 

 Istanbul (The city on the seven hills)

As Napolean Bonaparte once said, "If the Earth were a single state, Istanbul would be its capital." 

The first city that I visited was the financial capital of the country. I could not help but fall in love with its spectacular scenes which would leave anyone in awe. What I had seen of Istanbul in pictures wasn't enough. There was so much more to the city than I had imagined. Any history and Greek mythology lover like me would never want to leave. 

There were so many historic monuments and tourist spots to visit, that it would have taken months and years to explore all of them. 



The classic symbols of Istanbul, the Hagia Sophia Grand Mosque, and the Sultan Ahmed Mosque date back to the Ottoman and Byzantine eras. The Hagia Sophia was first a catholic church and was converted into a mosque in 1453 AD, and served as a center of religious, political, and artistic life for the Byzantine world. On the other hand, quite literally, the Blue Mosque is a symbol of Ottoman wealth and assertiveness. 

Entering these majestic buildings gives you a sense of divinity and to your soul, a refreshing cleanse like no other. We visited these sites in broad daylight and I could only wish to visit these at night, in peace. 



We also toured the Grand Bazaar and Spice Market. One could easily be overwhelmed by the fragrances of distinct spices and the calls to buy some to make delicious Biryani

The Galata Tower, built in 1348 AD, is another remarkable building situated in the heart of the city. Standing over the Istanbul skyline at 219 feet high, the tower offers a 360° view of the entire city of seven hills. In the olden days, the tower offered excellent surveillance and had crucial military importance.


There were numerous other spots worth visiting in the city that included a handful of incredible museums, the Topkapi Palace (it served as the official residence of the sultans of the Ottoman Empire for four centuries), Gulhane Park, the Taksim square (one of the most popular tourist attractions of the city), the Dolmabahce Palace, and the Istanbul Çevahir Mall (the second largest mall in the world which once you've entered, seems endless. 



After watching a Netflix drama based on the Pera Palace Hotel, a historic special category hotel in Istanbul frequently visited by Mustafa Kemal Ataturk, the first president and founder of modern-day Turkey, and Agatha Christie, a renowned crime author, I was adamant about visiting this hotel. The aura of the hotel was amazing and I felt myself going back in time. The coffee and cake, the sunset, and the Bosphorus view were perfect together. 

Out of all of these amazing sights worth visiting, my favorite would be the lively Galata bridge, straddling two continents, and cultures. It blends modern-day Istanbul with ancient Istanbul (Constantinople). You can literally walk from Europe to Asia or vice-versa, which I find pretty thrilling. Standing on the bridge, one could notice shrieking seagulls and the silhouettes of historic mosques. The iconic Galata Bridge is one of the most happening places in Istanbul.


From my standpoint, Istanbul and the mighty Bosphorus have witnessed a thousand tales from the past and the present. It seems as though the city has withheld unknown, enigmatic secrets that are waiting to be unraveled. It is this city that has sighted the clash of empires, conspiracy, and forbidden love. This is what makes it alluring, mysterious, and romantic. 

On my last day in Istanbul before returning, all the memories of the jaunt flashed in front of my eyes. I felt the urge to not leave. Is it even possible to become infatuated with a city? Presumably. 

Of all the places that I've ever visited, Istanbul is the one where I left my heart.



Comments

Popular Posts